This is a goody. Simple and satisfying as a small meal, or add a side of some sort and serve it as a “normal” meal.
Makes 5 servings, takes 45 minutes
- Pack of 5 Trader Joes uncooked bratwursts
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 oz shredded cabbage
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, crisp your bacon. Allow it to cook over medium heat until it is starting to crisp up but isn’t destroyed.
- Remove the bacon to a plate and set aside, but leave the fat behind. Add your brats and brown them on each side. Once you’re satisfied with their color, add the bacon back to the pan and remove the brats. Add your cabbage, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Saute for a few minutes until the cabbage begins cooking down. Add your ACV and chicken stock, plus a large pinch of salt and allow to come to a simmer, still over medium heat.
- Add your brats back to the pan(nestled into the cabbage) and allow to simmer gently for 10-20 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Taste a little of the cabbage and adjust the seasonings.
- To serve, place 1/5 of cabbage mixture on a plate and top with one bratwurst.