This is as ridiculous as it sounds. But it is also delicious, filling, and if you’re keeping an eye on your carbohydrate intake, low carb. It also gives you all the flavor of a bacon cheeseburger without the bun. Either eat this on its own, or have it over a simple salad. I like to double the recipe, make 2, and freeze one of them for a few weeks later. In my experience, when eating a restrictive diet, the easiest way to set yourself up for success is having tons of “premade” stuff that is ready to eat – which is why I usually have already peeled boiled eggs, string cheese, salami, and jello in the fridge. This bacon cheeseburger quiche is one of those puzzle pieces. It keeps in the fridge for a full week easily, although we’ve never had it last any longer than that, if you know what I mean. 😉
Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche (makes 6 servings – photos show a double recipe)
Ingredients(one pie plate):
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dry chopped onions (or fresh if you like chopping a tiny amount of onions)
- 5 oz shredded kerrygold cheddar
- 4 thick slices bacon, fried till fairly crisp (I use Fletchers from Costco)
- 71 grams mayonnaise (a few tablespoons)
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cook your bacon (I trust you’ve done this before and know what you’re doing)
- In a large skillet, brown your ground beef. Add the dehydrated onion to the skillet as it’s cooking. After the beef has browned, drain and remove it to a bowl to cool.
- Shred your cheddar, and chop the bacon. Once the beef has cooled, mix in the cheese and bacon. Transfer beef mixture to a pie plate. It doesn’t need to be greased. There’s enough fat in this that it doesn’t really stick.
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, eggs, salt & pepper in the bowl. Whisk until they’re homogenous, and pour the mixture slowly over the beef. It takes a while for the egg to seep down into the beef mixture.
- Bake the quiche in a 400 degree oven for 25 -35 minutes, until the center is no longer jiggly when bumped.
- Remove and allow to cool to room temp.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, or place into a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months(I made that number up, freeze for however long you’re comfortable freezing)
- Slice into 6 slices, reheat in the microwave, and enjoy!